Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Perfect Crackers


In general, I'm not a big fan of most crackers. The only crackers I recall eating as a kid were graham crackers, and those I associate with school snacks. We had matzoh at times, but matzoh just turns to dust in your mouth.

Then along came Triscuits and I became a convert. They had everything: taste, texture, and lip-smacking saltiness. Nothing came near them until the advent of the Stoned Wheat Thin. I admit, I jumped ship. I have bought nothing but these crackers for many years. As well as having the virtues of Triscuits, they are also a tiny bit larger and thus can hold a small mountain of food. Thus they can be the basis for a light lunch or dinner. Most often the food I pile on is some sort of cheese, but occasionally some chopped liver, egg salad, or hummus and veggies.

Last week, I stopped by a friend's house, and she put out a bowl of small round crackers. I almost ignored them, but I saw her crunching away and decided to try one. Like the ad says about potato chips, I couldn't  stop at just one. In fact, I liked them so much I went out and bought a box the next day. They contain almonds and rice flour, and have no cholesterol or saturated fats. Although they are aimed at people who avoid gluten, they are really delicious. They come in many flavors; I tried the Ranch flavor. These will never replace my Stoned Wheat Thins, because they're too darn small, but they certainly will become a new staple in my kitchen. 

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit I'm completely uninterested in cholesterol or gluten, and I wouldn't know a saturated fat if I sat in it, but like you, I'm fussy about crackers. You've convinced me to try these.

    ReplyDelete