Saturday, March 16, 2013

Trip Down Memory Lane

Simple Simon and the Pieman
If you are an adult of a certain age, chances are you see the sign above and immediately think "Howard Johnson's." For much of the twentieth century, Howard Johnson's was a common roadside sight. Now, I think there are just two left in the United States.

I was reminded of my visits to Howard Johnson's this week when I wandered through the Culinary Arts Museum at Johnson & Wales University in Providence, Rhode Island. What a trip back in time! I had forgotten this logo, although I did remember that HoJo's offered 28 flavors.

Part of the fun of the Culinary Arts Museum was seeing parts of my own culinary history that I hadn't thought about in years. Pez dispensers, for instance, were released in this country when I was a little kid, and they delighted me and most kids my age. Carnival food, railroad food, and early airplane food were all distinctive in their day, and the museum reminded me of this.

If you are in New England and enjoy all aspects of food, this is a great place to visit. Check them out online if you can't visit in person. There's a link above.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the good memories of many visits to HoJos for its ice cream, back in the day.

    ReplyDelete