Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Leeks: Ignored No More


For some reason, I never cooked a leek before this year. I think they looked so much like overgrown scallions that I figured they would taste like scallions. Also, I kept hearing that they were notoriously hard to clean.

This spring, however, I have cooked many a leek, and I'm kicking myself for not doing so earlier. They are delicious, especially when paired with asparagus. They don't taste like scallions; they taste a bit sweeter, and they look wonderful, because they turn into tiny little half circles. Tonight I'm trying a new recipe for a frittata that combines the two vegetables. I've never made a frittata before, but it looks a lot like a crustless quiche, so I know I'll like it.

As for leeks being hard to clean, no. Split them lengthwise and submerge them in water and swish them around. Any dirt comes right off. Then just pat them dry and use in your recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment