Sunday, April 28, 2013

Chicken Chicken Chicken

I once heard someone describe eternity as a ham and two people. For many, a roasting chicken and one person would be an eternity, but for me it's a joy. I seldom buy chicken pieces because I really like the variations I can make using leftovers from a roaster.


First, I enjoy the roast itself. If I'm making it for myself, I usually don't make gravy. I enjoy the juicy meat with a sweet potato or double-baked white potato, and have a simple salad on the side. Then, depending on the weather and my mood, I usually make at least two of the following dishes:
  • creamed chicken and mushrooms
  • chicken club sandwiches
  • chicken panini with artichokes, red peppers, and some sort of cheese
  • curried chicken salad with cashews and apricots
  • Cobb salad
After that, I finish up by making a rich chicken soup. I make a stock using the chicken, onion, celery, and carrots. After that cooks for a while, I strain the broth, pick all the chicken off the bones and throw the meat back in the broth. I throw out the exhausted veggies. Then I neatly chop another onion, more celery and carrots, and a parsnip if I have one. I put those in the soup and let it all cook together for a while longer.

Now I add salt and pepper. Shortly before serving, I throw in some chopped parsley and a handful of noodles. I usually don't eat the soup right away. Instead, I freeze it in small batches. It's very flavorful and probably healthful. Makes a perfect quick meal on those days I have no urge to cook.

1 comment:

  1. Think Chicken Enchiladas! Santa Fe style with green chiles. Check out allrecipes for great ideas. Yes, I live in New Mexico. Check your labels on the green chiles - some are produced in China!! Go for the "Hatch" chilies.

    ReplyDelete