Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Another Great Sandwich

Is THIS the world's best sandwich?

Although I recently wrote that I'm not a huge fan of sandwiches, writing about them got the idea stuck in my mind. So naturally I began making sandwiches. So far, I'm made three more, two of which are worth mentioning.

I make the sandwich shown here only on days that I visit a food store, because I want the roast beef to be freshly sliced. I don't cram the sandwich full of meat; instead, I smear the bread with a little mayonnaise, slather on a goodly amount of horseradish, and add some sliced tomatoes and shredded lettuce. With a bit of salt, it's a great sandwich. I make this on some sort of rye bread, either marble rye or plain, and always serve with half-sour pickles, which can be somewhat challenging to find in this area.

A sandwich that I have made almost weekly this summer is a type of veggie wrap. I spread garlic hummus on a whole-wheat wrap, pile on grilled vegetables (mine always include sliced red bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms and usually some sort of eggplant or squash), and then add either lettuce or spinach. For some reason, the combination of the garlicky hummus and roast vegetables is somewhat addictive, which is why I make this often.

No comments:

Post a Comment