Saturday, June 23, 2012

The Perfect Summer Lunch: Middle Eastern

pea pods, hummus, za'atar bread, feta, muhammara, and olives
Whenever I'm asked to name my favorite food, I go into a frenzy of indecision. What season is it? I have different favorites at different times of year. What meal are we talking about? What nationality?

I don't actually have a single favorite food—I have many favorites. In warm weather, several Middle Eastern foods are high on that list. I love the varieties of colors, textures, and shapes. I love having a little of this and a little of that, as opposed to a large chunk of something. I love not needing a fork.

When I stopped by the Acton-Boxborough Farmer's Market last week, I discovered a new vendor, Samira's.They were giving out free samples of their wares, and although I had not planned on buying anything this day but lettuce, my resolve weakened instantly. Samira's kalamata olive hummus was incredibly tasty, as was their muhammara, a spread made from roasted red peppers, walnuts, lemon, and pomegranate. They have fresh-baked pita, but their za'atar bread lured me away from it. I had never tasted this before, and now I'm hooked.


No comments:

Post a Comment